Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I'm sorry. And I hope that having the balls to say sorry wont lead to a 1975 style demise!

As I generally do in the mornings, I have just finished flicking through SMH online, and it's got me a wondering. Are the people of Australia any more ready for a leader with strong socially progressive policies, than they were in 1975?

I am a supporter of Kevin Rudd. Coming from a rural background, I know many people who are not. I also know many people who don't particularly care. I have never supported a party in particular and if I felt the next Liberal or Greens (whoever) leader was going to lead my country by listening to the people and providing the best outcomes for the majority, then I would probably vote for them. However, as it stands today, I like Kevin Rudd.

I love that he had the balls to stand up and say that previous governments were wrong to take Indigenous Australians away from their families based upon their race!
I know that I certainly do not care how good their intentions may have been. And I certainly don't think that now is time to discuss intentions. Maybe they were good, or maybe they were bordering on genocide. The point is. Thousands of children were removed from their homes because at least one of their parents were Indigenous. The were put into Orphanages/Homes where many were physically, sexually and emotionally abused.

Now as an Australian living in hope, I anxiously await to see if the apology delivered by Kevin Rudd on the 13th February, 2008, will provide the much needed platform or bridge if you like, which will enable a reconciliation between all Australians.

Saying sorry was not the sole point of my blog. Lately I have started to become concerned, as I have always believed that people of Australia are not good with change. And Rudd (thank god) is going to bring change. I find Kevin Rudds beliefs and passion to be similar to those of another Labour leader of Australia, one who also took over after a long Liberal reign, those of Gough Whitlams (although admittedly this is simply based on my interpretations of what I have read of Goughs actions in history books - I was born the year of his dismissal!). So let me draw a few other similarities in which I believe Kevin has, very early in his career as Prime Minister, made which are comparible to Gough.

1. G: Ended Conscription K: Bringing troops home from Iraq
2. G: Abolished The White Australian Policy, introduced The Self Determination Policy as well as improved access to justice for Indigenous Australian. K: Saying Sorry and focusing on bridging the gap between the vast differences between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Australian living conditions.
3. G: Attempt to Institute government overseeing of exploitation of minerals and oil K: Ratify Kyoto Protocol

pfftt... While they are not exactly the same, as we live in different eras, you can see where I am going. Whitlam, in my opinion was somewhat of a visionary, someone who saw the importance of education, health and possibly what we now call sustainability! In a time when education had been primarily neglected for the previous 25yrs, and no-one cared for sustainability. Rudd appears to be a strong leader with his values and actions firmly stamped with social progressivism, which makes me incredibly happy. I believe it is high time an Australian leader represented change and progress. However, my beliefs are very rarely similar to that of the general public. Which is why I am left wondering, is it possible Australia is finally ready for change, or will we see Kevin Rudd dismissed in the next few years, in the same vein as Whitlam?

No comments: