Monday, February 25, 2008

It may well be a long way to tipperary, cause it's a damn long way home...

Ok so I think most people know this story or bits of this story by now, but for those of you who don’t know, I will summarise as quick as I can. I left Sweden on the 23rd January via train to Copenhagen, flight to Frankfurt 6hr transit and then a flight to Bangkok. When I arrived in Bangkok my luggage was missing which I didn’t really have a problem with as I didn’t want to carry it. I checked into my hotel on Kao Sahn road and swore solemly to myself never ever ever to stay in that district again on my own. How much do you think a very blonde untanned westerner stood out as an “easy target” for hagglers. None the less I did a little shopping, had a wax and decided to have an early night. I was awake by midnight and gave up on sleep by 2.30am. By 4am I was in a taxi on my way to the airport for my “waitlisted” flight. And was still waiting at 4pm after the very incompetent decided that despite 4 seats being available and several first class seats being available I wouldn’t be getting on that plane. After 12 more hours and 22,000 BHT off I was in business class on my way to Sydney (where I had to purchase a virgin blue flight to Brisbane!)

It was a nightmare, I was exhausted, but man it was kinda nice to hang out in business for a while! Definitely would be up for that if I had the chance again – I didn’t have a flat bed, but man my knees definitely didn’t hurt either.

Arriving home was amazing. It was nice to fly into Sydney on a clear Saturday morning, and know that it was Australia Day. I felt proud and excited, and I wondered even more so if the benefits of living abroad outweigh living in Australia and being surrounded by the comforts I enjoy. Mostly being the weather. When I arrived in Brisbane, I had a very sheepish Sam leading the pack of Fo, Nat and Max, he was standing there holding a “Welcome home Aunty Cas” I felt loved and at home, and it took the edge of my tiredness let me tell you! And it certainly didnt take long untill he was entertaining me with long stories of mowing, wipper-snippering or snipper-snapping and chainsawing and dancing and singing! I then got to spend the afternoon and most of the evening with most of my closest friends and family. Despite that I could barely function, or speak. Oh well!!

I am angry at myself for not blogging every week while I was home. Because to be honest, I don’t think I can bore you for that long to explain the mixed emotions I felt during my month at home. I often felt as though I was on an emotional roller coaster, and that Nat and Fo were my grounding points (Thanks guys!). I find it difficult even now to be ascertain if the emotions I felt were real, or if they were niggling feelings enhanced by not having Håkan with me and guilt at not doing all the things I promised myself I would do. I’m sorry but some days singing and dancing to the wiggles with a 3yr old is just the only thing I want to do.

I was going to give some honourable mentions to a few people who I am not sure if I am very good at making sure they know how much I miss them. However after I wrote them out, I realised that most of these things require being said in person and not on a public blog.

So instead I say that everyone who I spent time with while I was home, I miss you dearly, and thank you for making the effort to spend some time with me. That month will give me enough strength to get through the rest of the year in Sweden, and I cant wait to spend time with you all again next year. And hopefully with the members of my family who didn’t come to the beach!!!!! Hint hint nudge nudge.


And now for some photos by my very talented sister who you can find at fionacarsonphotography.blogspot.com god bless her cottons!!!

The Twins

flare

cuddle

b&w

perfect

cas & clydey

cas&boys2

cas and boys

No comments: