Thursday, May 29, 2008

Australian-Swedish??? Is there such a thing?

Over the last few weeks I have been asking myself, what should I write about today? What thrilling tales of adventure can I share.... hmmmmm...
*Evil Cas: the sun is shining don't worry about your blog VS Good Cas: Don't be so lazy go write something hillllariously funny with lots of mental notes!*

So I set myself a tast - I had to go out and actually observe daily occurances. Ones which just over a year ago would have seemed unusual, although now go relatively unnoticed! I had to say, I was a little intrigued to find out how much I had assimilated into the Swedish culture! Was I now an Australian Swede? Or a Australian living in Sweden?

It didnt take long to find some startling differences! After removing my bike from the communial rack infront of our apartment (No. 1) and cycling along the wide tree ladened bicycle path (think width of a car lane - No. 2) to the train station, I got off my bike, and stopped, motionless, staring. There must be 1000 or so bikes on this side of the train station. Then I thought about the other side of the station - the entrance side. Where there is possibly 20 times this many bikes.

Train travel. That's something I don't tend to notice anymore.

Train travel is obviously not exclusive to Sweden, people travel by train everywhere, hell even in Queensland people travel by train! However, the proportion of people who untilise train travel in Sweden, is generally only seen in very large metropolitan areas where travelling by car is almost impossible. Obviously when I lived in London I travel by train and bus, and thought nothing of it. I lived for 3years without a car when I returned from London (But my friends and family assisted in this time). It most certainly can be done. But how often is it?

This morning, the good people at Skanetraffiken were offering me a choice of 4 trains within the next 35mins, which would all take me the 20km to Malmö - a 12min journey. Now I remember catching trains in Brisbane. 2 times per hour from my suburb (which was inner city - 2km from the CBD!) I had to change in the city and it took approx 40mins to travel the 6km to work! The bus was no quicker!

While I internally praised Sweden, and it's people for how responsible they are with regards to transport, and caring for their environment, I wondered how Australia could change with regards to public transport, and more importantly reducing oil consumption? I don't even know where you should begin? Obviously improving the transport systems would be a great start!

If politicans would dramatically change their attitudes and see that there is money to made in renewable energy and not just coal, oil and gas production (with less environmental and health concerns) that would help! Sweden is fortunate that their politicians are extremely focused on creating a healthy "green" environment - so it is much easier for people to follow suit.

But how do you change peoples attitudes if you dont have strong leaders setting the example, ensuring everyone has the ability to live a "greener" life? Trust me I am not guilt free, I often drove to the shop for milk in Brisbane (I blamed it on lack of time - but really I drove because I could).

While I think it is very safe to say I will always be an Australian living in Sweden! One who will not want to take her dancing shoes off when she arrives at a house party (because damn it my shoes are often the highlight of the outfit!). One who will never understand the delights of pickeled herring, nor sil, nor smoked eel. One who will always love to sit outside barefooted, and practice yoga and pilates barefooted (No grippy socks for me!)... I am however, happy to adopt the Swedish practices I enjoy and agree with!

Reducing my carbon footprint is definately one of those practices I intend to continue with no matter where I live! (If at the very least, only to make up for my long haul flying - although I do offset my carbon emissions!)

For those who are interested some more info on train travel and "energy" in Sweden!

* SX trains in Sweden hold up to 1600 people, run 4X/hr between Lund and Malmo in each direction (and on to Copenhagen) from 6am to midnight (1X/hr 24h - 6h) and are generally at least 80%full (often overfull).
* Pågatåg is the regional train company. They run 3-4 X/hr in each direction between Malmö and Helsingborg and carry 500-800 people (approx 40min trip).
(so thats 5 - 8 trains run/hr in each direction carrying up to 10,000+ people!)
* SX trains, Pågtågets and busses are all run on "green energy" i.e. non coal, oil nor gas!
* On top of the already running trains an underground train system is being built which will double the amount of trains running between Lund and Copenhagen.
* For the record, Lund has a population of 100,000, Malmö 300,000.
* Sweden has not increased it's oil consumption in the past 15years - despite the majority of the western world doubling its consumption in the same time period!
* Sweden aims to be world leaders in energy conservation and "END our dependence on oil by the year 2020 and tangibly reduce our use of oil products"* (they aim to be oil and gas free by 2050!)
* Sweden uses three types of power. Hydro, Fosil fuel and nuclear energy (They have relied on Nuclear power since the 60's). Note: They do not rely on gas nor coal! (well other than charcoal BBQ's!)
* Sweden made the decision to phase out nuclear power in 1980, when anti-nuclear protests were at its peak - however, the threat of Global Warming has slowed the dismantlement, as some 80% of Swedes say they want to keep nuclear power as "they fear they will have to import energy from carbon dioxide-emitting coal and gas power plants elsewhere in Europe, as a result of energy shortages". 2 reactors are no longer in use (10 still are)
* An 8BN SEK ($1.3B AUD) wind farm was recently built, which is one the largest wind farms in the world - however this farm only produces half the energy of the Barseback 2 nuclear reactor which was recently closed.
* Families - not just individuals cycle. Remember the picture of Brad Pit cylcing with their clan in New Orleans?? Well just like that, although perhaps with a little less sex appeal??
bradkidsangelinabiking One shouldnt be suprised to see men and women in business suits cycling to work! Or even dropping their children at daycare on the way to work.
* Fuel costs 13sek ($2.26AUD, $2.16USD, £1.09) per litre. I have never heard anyone complain. People understand that they shouldnt drive needlessly.
* There is a 7+ month waiting list for a hybrid car. They are in popular demand. I imagine most people would be embarressed to purchase a new car which wasnt a hybrid.

2 comments:

Laura said...

really enjoyed this post.. i really would love to reduce my carbon footprint. i've started with what i can.. ie getting everyone at work to recycle and also make them think about what they print out in the first place.

We also move offices in the next 8 weeks and I want to bring peoples attention to the amount of foam cups they use each day!

Cassandra Doyle said...

You tell 'em!
Absolutely - I imagine that if you can dramatically reduce foam cup usage in your office you will make a significant contribution for an individual... And as they say - it just takes one person to get things rolling - Perhaps you can be the catalyst for change in your office!