Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Just because I speak a language, doesnt mean I understand it!

It the past several weeks, life in Sweden has felt somewhat easier. One of the biggest changes I have noticed, and which has contributed to me enjoying life more, is that I am more daring. I dare to go to pilates in swedish, I dare to speak swedish (when I have to) even though I know that between my accent and my poor vocabularly, no one understands me... Generally I dare not to care anymore! This has been a very liberating experience in itself - to no longer care how Sweden treats or views me! Unfortunately, (and for those who know me well, they will surely attest to this character flaw of mine) once I get on a roll, I tend to get, well a little cocky, a little over zealous if you will.
.exercise

As I mentioned, I have been attending a pilates class for the last few months, which is taught in Swedish, and I have no problems following the class, as I have done pilates for years, so I generally know where the class is going, or it will only take me a few seconds to work out what move the instructor means (because often I have no idea what she is saying!). So I decided that it was time to bump it up a little. Try something new - it was time to try the abs class (notice I keep taking the classes with english names, somehow I think this will help!). Luckily this class was just like "pilates on speed". I again had NO PROBLEMS following. I already knew all the moves, it was just 10 times faster with really cheesy top 40 dance tracks playing!

So the next day I dared to try something else. I decided that POWER/ABS 75 looked like a good place to start. My zeal and enthiasm lead me to believe that a) I knew what the class was. and b) I could handle it.

You know whats comming dont you.

I thought I would never survive. I did not walk into a Power Yoga and Abs class. I walked into a 75minute boot camp style Power - as in POWER building class. Let me just tell you after the first 15mins of cardio with weights when I felt like I might just vomit - and then I realised the instructor still hadnt taken off her jumper.... Well you can imagine. I am now also very familar with what it must feel like to be yelled at by a Swedish Staff Sargent!! Lets just say it has taken me 3 days to be able to walk up the stairs without wincing in pain...

so now I'm starting to wonder if I am up for another class tonight??exercise_equip_clr-724514.gif



I survived it once, do I dare to try it again???????

8 comments:

Mhor said...

Do Eeet!!!! I did 15mins on the crosstrainer and I am starting to find it easy so maybe it is time to do 20mins on it and only 20 mins of my walking (which mind you I do at 6.5km and at 5% gradient so I'm not slacking I tell you)...

I still haven't done any classes - the ones I want to do are always when I have stuff on or at lik 7.30pm and that's too late for me - I like exercising around 4pm

Cassandra Doyle said...

LOL! you should be increasing that cross trainer all the time missy!!
But well done you for making exercise a habit so quickly!!! After well... 15yrs of non-exercise you should be proud to be an exerciser so quick!!!!

fona25 said...

exercise schmexercise.

Pass me that chocolate bar dude!

Cassandra Doyle said...

LOL! well we cant all be freaks of nature and maintain our abs by... well eating chocolate!!!

Laura said...

i say go again.. if you got through it once its only going to get easier

also well done nat on the exercise.. you sound like you are really back into it

i've started swimming again.. its nice going before work when the sun is up!

Cassandra Doyle said...

yeah I'm with you Laura - it's a whole lot easier to exercise when there is some daylight and warmth around huh!

Rochelle said...

mwhahahahahaha I laughed out loud picturing it...me.. I get all red sweaty and hot.. and that's just thinking about doing a class hehe... is it in the swedish genes that they stay completely unsweaty and un red cheeked? It's just not natural I tell ya!

my blog (boring at the mo...) is
www.kiwiflicka.blogspot.com
you might guess from the name I'm a kiwi here :-)
Anyway nice read for a sunday! Cheers.

Raiha said...

Hi Cas,
Great blog you have got here! After reading through this post, it has given me enough motivation to stop slouching on the couch and do some exercise... well, maybe. Anyway, thanks for the read!
Raiha
(kiwi expat in Sweden :)