Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lost in translation or Aprilskämt Månad!

While the rest of the world celebrates "April Fools Day" on the 1st April, in Sweden we (or they - which by default includes me, due to my location) (NOT because I am identifying as a Swede) (but that just seems really complicated so for future reference that's what I mean by we!) pay homage to this day throughout the entire month. The rational being that the weather (I know here I go again) makes a fool out of everyone for the whole month. Just when everyone is convinced that Spring has arrived, the next day will be snow, sleet, rain or all of the above! Which in turns all those spring believers turn into "April fools!" (you know I'm one of them!)

However, I am not sure that April is just making a fool of spring believers in Sweden this year! I don't think I can remember a time where so many of my nearest and dearest seemed to be a little lost in their own translations (Ok I admit it, I just wanted to use the title). Lost in their own emotions is perhaps a better description.

Is it the change of season that sends everyone thoughts, emotions and behaviours haywire? Perhaps everything becomes a little more intense as people feel a chillness setting in the autumn air, or, depending where you are, the intensity of the impending spring?

I am not sure which it is, but I certainly include myself on this list. I seem to be riding a roller coaster at the moment. So, I invite all who are feeling the same, to join myself (and Maddie who came up with the title) in writing April off as a month of "Stupid things that cool people do"

No comments: