Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Challenge mania.... Insane in the membrania!

Yeah I read that title, get over it, I got bigger fish!

Last week I was asked to be an interviewee for a friend who is writing about the social phenomenon that is blogging. Many of the questions were in regards to, why do I blog?

..... Well obviously because i'm hilarious and everyone wants to read what i have to say!

No??? Ok well how about... I dont really know why. (Not the answer I gave by the way!) I think my original thought process was because I am crap at keeping a travel diary, so I decided to keep a public one? Makes sense huh? I also wanted somewhere to keep copies of my lonely planet blogs, so it seemed natural I start my own blog.

But.... and there is always a but.. now i'm thinking I should put a little more effort to it. I want to use this blog to talk about the new and amazing things I should be out there experiencing. not to complain about the cold. I mean, come on, I live in Sweden, what did I think the temperature would be like????

Unfortunately, 12months of living in Sweden has left me pretty uninspired to be honest. But, do you know what? I am my own worst enemy. I often hide from my life in Sweden, mostly because I am embarrassed that I am not fluent in Swedish, or even close to it. Especially now as we are the point where people are starting to ask why I don't speak Swedish. Thats when I get all, howabouts we stay at home, and then no one will ask me, and i'll offend no one! Can we huh???? huh huh???

I'm pretty ashamed that I this is who I have become. I really and truely need hand holding in this country. Somehow I have gone from being a hand holder (of anyone who would come along for the ride) to needing some constant gentle persuasion READ: someone to bloody push me - but, obviously in a way I will respond to well i.e. don't TELL me to do it you moron, suggest it in a round about way and let me think I thought of the idea!!!

Ahhhh man. Look i've gone and done it again. What i really wanted to say was. I think it is time I used this blog more effectively. I look at all the photographic groups Fo belongs to and I really wish I had something like that. They are constantly being set challenges which not only get their creative juices flowing, but it pushes them to keep their craft evolving, experience new things, and to look at everyday aspects with a new perspective! So that's what I want to do.....

So, I want EVERYONES help!!!!
And, I know who you are, googleanalytics.com tells me.

I want you all to think about one, (or two or five if you like) things, ideas, perspectives, whatever, that I can write about.
It is best if it is Sweden relevant (wikipedia is the name of the game for you) and off i will go adventuring and exploring new things.
Honestly I dont care if it is a spring flower that you want to know about, OR you could set me a WHOLE challenge!!! Like I want you to go out for the day pretending.... and then tell us about it!!
Please please please help me stop myself from going insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So just do it, leave a comment at the end of this please please please! I dont think anything is too crazy??? Although I am a little worried about what O'Brien might suggest?????

(and just to clarify, I was NOT earlier comparing my blogging with Fo's talent!!)

12 comments:

Fussy said...

I'm glad you write because your hilarious and write fascinating things - me too!

I'm now wishing I was the creative O'Brien (I'll leave that to JW) - I just read the whole wiki article on Sweden and can only think of school projects for you like going to Ale's Stones or the top of the turning torso.

In researching something fun for you to do as a project I came across this website - thought you might like it (even if she's living in America) http://jacalica.blogspot.com/

I've still not come up with anything for you to do - all my suggestions are too naff...thought you'd appreciate this from wiki though: Bengt Wedholm (July 20, 1919 – October 31, 2001) was a Swedish chef. Inspired by a visit to Paris, he introduced the pizza in Scandinavia at his Stockholm restaurant Östergök in 1968.

Anonymous said...

Salmiak aka Ammonium Chloride. In vodka, as lollies, or as powder. Please explain.

And don't forget Eurovision, mid May. You may have missed the Swedish heats. Sorry for the late notice.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cassandra Doyle said...

Yep I'm on it.... they particularly love it on licorice... they call it "salt licorice". Ok i will think of something to explore about that. Eurovision - everyone stays at home to watch the heats, so dont worry I'v e been all over that one!!!!

Oh and Lib... LOL!! on the pizza dude.... I so expected you to send me out to discover why "Swedish Pizza"is so darn popular!!!

Mhor said...

I want you to use your polaroid and take a photo a day - of something that describes your day for you!!!

Cassandra Doyle said...

ohhhh nice one Natty. I will do it for one week starting today! (I have 7 photos left so works perfect!)

fona25 said...

Ok, I got a few for you.

For 2 weeks, every day you have to come up with one unique word (as in, you can't use a word more than once) to describe your day. You have to take one unique self portrait of you holding up (or something like that) that word. Then you go onto the explain why you've chosen that word. (hint - search self portraits on flickr). Be creative.

BTW, Have you been to Dalby? Go and compare it to our Dalby!!!!

fona25 said...

oh shit, I typed mine before I read the others....mine's too similar to Nat's. Sorry.

Will think of something else and get back to you!

Mhor said...

NO she can incorporate mine and your's TOGETHER!!

Cassandra Doyle said...

Yep I will incorporate the two and make a trip to Dalby and write about it for you!!!
I have been to Dalby last summer for a wedding, but Håkan and I didnt like each other much, I was moving home to Australia and it had been raining for 5 weeks, so my outlook wasnt so rosy :D
Will go again!!!

Anonymous said...

I want to know what your unique daily word is in Swedish.

Anonymous said...

What are their houses like? can you find a few that you love and post pics?