Monday, April 28, 2008

Take your medicine as ordered, and we WILL hold it against you.

How many people question what a doctor prescribes to alleviate pain? I am a nurse, so I am more likely to question the prescription than most, however if I was in serious pain and a doctor offered me a way out, I would most certainly take it!

You would as well, Right?

Wrong choice, if your 56 yr old Tim Garon. He was prescribed "medical marijuana" to relieve the pain he has been experiencing whilst awaiting a liver transplant. Prescribed by doctors, who are employed by the same hospital whose ethics committee (University of Washington Medical Center) have denied him access to a liver transplant.... wait for it... because he has used marijana!

The ethics committee have decided that Tim is inelligable for a transplant as he has a history of drug use. The committees standards state that previous drug use indicates an addictive personality, therefore the risk of drugs use post liver transplant is too great!!!

Did I mention, that unlike alcohol, Marijana has NO affect on the liver! Can anyone tell me am if I am going to be refused a liver (if needed), as I have spent years binge drinking????? Unlikely. Why? Because I wouldn't reveal to the ethics committee that I'm a binge drinker....

Unfortunately there is no hiding those pesky medical records!

2 comments:

Mhor said...

hahhaha - oh the irony - he should sue them for loss of LIFE!!!

Cassandra Doyle said...

LOL! I think he will be dead before the week is out...