Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fun facts about Sweden!

Obviously everyone in Sweden is obsessed with the sun.
Why wouldn't they be. In winter depending on your location the daylight hours vary between 5 and 0 hours.

Vitamin D is obviously lacking - hense what starts as people feeling "fall sick" can end up as terrible depression by the end of winter. I personally believe that those who live in the middle of Sweden get the best deal - a little bit of daylight and a whole lot of WHITE! (Maybe it's just cause I'm Australian, but when I wake up to a white morning I feel giddy like a little school girl! When I wake up to a grey morning, as we mostly experience in Skåne, I want hide under the doona covers).

Anywhoo... my point is. Do you what foods which contain Vitamin D?
Herring, Mackerel, Salmon, Sardines, Tuna, Egg Yolks (and fortified foods).
No good for people like me, nor vegetarians or vegans.

Guess what Sweden have an abundance of!
Herring, Mackerel, Salmon etc etc.
Other than meatballs, these are their national dishes.
All you have to do is look at a traditional Swedish 'Jul Bord' (Christmas Smorgasbord)to understand that these are the foods that are eaten in Winter. So either nature has a way of providing what we need in our diet, or even the vikings had better knowledge of what foods they should eat in winter....

Hmmmm.... I wonder.

1 comment:

Mhor said...

I think it was a case of - learning what kept them healthy and what didn't. Not necessarily knowing exactly what it was in the food that kept them healthy