Thursday, October 9, 2008

What is one's worth?

While I never thought I was worth my weight in Gold... I got a little bit of a suprise when inquiring about my "market value" on the swedish job market.

Over the past year or so I have been enlighted - considerably - to the politics of gender equality. I've been made to belive that it's not that women are actually paid less for the same work - it's more to do with the fact that we accept the amount offered and then don't or won't negotiate. Seems pretty straight forward, right? So with this knowledge in mind, and a new job (second job) I was trying to work out - how much am I worth?

Now I knew that I had to come up with a figure, my new boss had asked me, and was not letting anything slip re: what she's willing to pay. So while keeping my new found "enlightenment" at the forefront of my mind, I decided to ask a male, rather than female: one who is younger(in the hope of more progressive male), less educated, and in a role that could be considered on the same payscale as mine.

me: "What do you think I should ask for?"
him: *considering*.... Hmmm.... maybe 110kr/hr"
me: "Is that what you earn?"
him:"No - I earn 130kr/hr".
me: "Why do you think I'm worth 20kr/hr less than you? I've more working
experience, I have a better education, I am studying a masters degree in
communication, and considering part of my job will be writing - dont you think
that counts?"
him:"Why did you ask me if you don't want to know what I think?"
me: "Good point - I thought I wanted to know what you think, I guess I just didn't
expect for you to undervalue me...."

So guess what I did. I got in contact with a friend I study with. I told her what I was doing etc - ask her what she thought... She said - ask for 130kr/hr. That way it is a low enough wage to ensure you still get enough hours, yet high enough for you to feel valued!

So much for the belief that females devalue themselves :D
Perhaps it's a male behind the "theory" of gender equality and politics?????

p.s. I UNDERVALUED MYSELF! I got offered more hours because she had expected me to aks for 120-130kr after tax. Damn it - that's really what I need isn't it - to work more hours for less pay!!! Hahahaha - I will be renegotiating in the future!

7 comments:

Mhor said...

I have read all those studies saying women do undervalue ourselves. I agree we do - but you know what - Society undervalues us and we go alone with it. It's a catch 22 situation I believe...

Mhor said...

ps 130.00 SEK = 27.1246 AUD - very well done Cassie-Roe..

Cassandra Doyle said...

That's not so much in Sweden hon.
Remember it's $10 AUD for a beer, $6 AUD for a coffee (luckily I can get one near my work for $4!... I think 100kr is minimum wage - so i'm not that far above it.

Oh and we're 50% of society... So if we started believing in ourselves surely the rest would follow suit...

Anonymous said...

Actually, there is no minimum wage. The unions are just big enough that they usually get a say.

A few months ago I was offered 65 SEK/hour BEFORE TAXES to stand on my feet for eight hours a day, working uncomfortable and late hours, and taking a maximum 30 minute break (if there was little to do around lunchtime). No unionised workers there, obviously.

Mhor said...

Ooh next time - choose what you think your worth and then ask for 10-20 more...

Cassandra Doyle said...

Yeah I know there is no "legalised" minimum wage in Sweden, in Skane though, we're pretty lucky and hence, 100kr/hr is about as low as wages go... Bu wow Eydimork - 65kr/hr - that's ridiculous - once you take away 30% tax, it wouldn't be worth going to work!!
I hope you didn't have to take that job?
P.S. - Natty - that was the whole point of this blog - to go with my gut and to renegotiate. I was going to ask for 150kr... which I would have got 170, but anyway, I'll be renegotiating very soon!

Cassandra Doyle said...

Wow - that's so not how I ment that to come out - ahhh you know what I ment re: wages in Skane :D